There are many, many different ways to make potato salad and most of them taste great. One common way of making potato salad in Germany is with what seems like a pound of mayonnaise in it. If that is what you’re looking for, this is definitely not it. Mostly because I find that version disgusting. Instead, this is a simple, light potato salad version which tastes great served with Wiener schnitzel or anything from the grill on a warm summer day.
By the time we were ready to eat, I forgot to take a photo of the finished product. But just imagine the pictures of the various ingredients and use your imagination.
Authentic Bavarian Potato Salad
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium zesty (würziger) pickles, diced
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 2.5 pounds potatoes
- 1 tablespoon powdered bouillon
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Add onions, pickles and juice into large bowl.
- Boil potatoes until they fall off a fork without breaking, about 20 minutes. Peel potatoes and cut into slices. Add to bowl.
- Add oil, bouillon, vinegar and mix well. Let sit for about 30 minutes so flavors can combine.