So I’ve mentioned that we got seeds from Burpee a few times now…and you may be wondering what we ordered…so here goes – it’s a LONG list, I know. But the seeds there cost a fraction of the price here, especially for chili seeds so even with shipping them over here, it’s totally worth it. Plus you can’t find okra seeds here….
We mostly stuck to heirloom varieties. It’s a farm garden, after all, and after we had a bunch of hybrids last year, we realized that the taste of them really wasn’t all that great. So we expect that our results this year will be massively better – and at least better tasting.
Now we just need a bit of good weather over one of the next few weekends so we can get our beds in order finally! We did have a short 2 hour session weeding, emptying the plants from our greenhouse and churning up one of the big beds….but the others are in bad shape and we’ve never leveled the ground so we have some work to do before we can plant all this yummy stuff in the ground!
- Hot Pepper Jalapeño Gigante
- Bush Bean White Half Runner
- Brussels Sprouts Tasty Nuggets Hybrid
- Pak Choi Joi Choi
- Cucumber Picklebush (Bush, Pickling)
- Cucumber Straight Eight (Slicing)
- Cucumber Lemon (Heirloom)
- Eggplant Black Beauty Heirloom
- Lettuce Looseleaf Heatwave
- Mesclun Salad Fresh Cutting Mix
- Cantaloupe Hale’s Best (Heirloom)
- Okra Clemson Spineless
- Sweet Pepper Chinese Giant
- Sweet Pepper Carnival Hybrid Mix
- Hot Pepper Hot Lemon (Heirloom)
- Hot Pepper Jalapeno
- Hot Pepper Habaner
- Pumpkin Small Sugar (Heirloom)
- Pumpkin Rouge Vif d’Etampes
- Zucchini Burpee’s Fordhook
- Winter Squash Vegetable Spaghetti
- Gourd Small Fancy Mix
- Gourd Big Mix
- Gourd Luffa
- Tomato Black Krim (Heirloom)
- Tomato Druzba (Heirloom)
- Tomato Brandywine
- Spinach Baby’s Leaf Hybrid
- Celery Tall Utah 52-70 Improved
- Dianthus Ipswich Pinks
- Tomato Big Rainbow (Heirloom)
- Tomato Fresh Salsa
- Tomato Gardener’s Delight (Cherry)
- Tomato Burpee’s Long-Keeper
- Tomato Roma VF
- Watermelon Sugar Baby
And we got a free pack of Sunflower Cutting Mix seeds….with all we ordered I kinda felt like I deserved more…but we also got a $5 coupon for our next order so that’s cool too.
In addition to all the seeds, I did get tempted to buy one gadget – a sunlight calculator. You can set it anywhere outdoors for at least 12 hours during the day and it will tell you how much sun it gets during the day so you know what can/should be planted there. This is quite practical for our garden since it sits behind the barn and I honestly don’t have time to go back there once an hour to see what’s happening…nor will I remember to do that. So I’m interested to finally get some sunny days so we can see just how much sun we’re getting around the yard there!