We had guests here this weekend which I’ve mentioned a few times. We decided on Thursday that it would be much nicer if the yucky yellow container was gone from the courtyard so we requested that it be picked up on Friday afternoon. But it was nowhere near full on Thursday morning so we had to get to work.


I mentioned the areas we’d be targeting in a post on the 29th…and we got two of the three very well cleaned out with this container. We cleaned out the bird housing and feed troughs in the horse stables as well as the plywood wall which divided the room. Stefan got started removing the feed troughs and of course Ayla was helping us which is always interesting. We intended to start with the bird housing but it gave us some trouble.


It’s amazing how much bigger the room looks when just half of the trough is gone. Guess it’s partially just the light reaching more of the floor. Oh, and you may notice the beer tap on the left side of this photo. That’s our keg-o-rater which we finally plugged in and happily found out that it works very well. So we’ll be putting it to use for the first time at our housewarming party. πŸ™‚

After the feed trough was completely removed we turned our focus to the pig stalls. One of the nifty items left behind by our previous owner was this pig transporter. The thing is massively heavy by itself so I have no clue how you could move it with a hog inside it. Maybe you use four people instead of two…


We brought it outside in the courtyard so we could work on it and get it apart. It would have taken up too much space in the container built together and I don’t think we could have lifted it into the container anyway. Stefan had to use a screwdriver and hammer to pry the wire up which was more or less holding this thing together. Then we snipped it with cable cutters so we could take all the sides apart.


After 35 minutes we’d already made a bit of progress in the container.


The bird housing in the horse stables had given us trouble early in the week because there were 4 large metal brackets screwed into the concrete wall holding the shelf in place. Thankfully Stefan had already done a lot of work with his screwdriver and hammer prying method so he just pulled the screws holding the brackets out of the wood and the shelf came down fairly easily. Then we had to break the small shelves out of each row so we could throw each long white board away. Stefan got to make the most of his wrecking hammer πŸ™‚


Within 15 minutes we had the shelf out and everything in the container. Our efficiency even impresses us sometimes. Of course when you have a big enough space to through all the trash, cleaning up is not nearly as bad as it could be.


Our next move was tackling the wall dividing the rooms. We initially thought this was drywall but instead it was huge plywood sheets painted white. Perhaps it was easier to remove this way because we could use the stitch saw to cut the panels into smaller pieces.


The ladder we had been using wasn’t high enough to reach all the screws near the ceiling but thankfully the steel wall anchored in the wall was sturdy enough for Stefan to stand on and he just removed them from there. Needless to say I was standing outside the room for most of this process to prevent anything injuring me.

In just under 3 hours we managed to fill up the rest of the container. We found a few more things around the house while cleaning up Friday morning which we also tossed in there. It really is fantastic to have a container like this around. You never have to worry about how you’re going to dispose of something.


This now makes 90 cubic meters of trash that we’ve thrown away. It shocks even us. Perhaps even more incredible is that we still have tons more stuff to get rid of. I often wonder if we’ll even run out of things that need to be cleaned out. πŸ˜‰

0