On one of the homesteading groups I subscribe to, a member was just sending this recipe around. If you are addicted to Stove Top Stuffing but would rather try something from scratch, here are a few recipes to make your own.
All out of Stove Top at the store? Not so fond of using pre-mixed ingredients for your meals? Use this easy copycat Stove Top stuffing mix recipe to make your own!
- The seasoning mix:
- 1/2 tsp each ground sage, dried savory and poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 Tbsp dried chopped celery
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tsp dried parsley leaves, crushed
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- The stuffing:
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 package Stuffing Seasoning Mix (recipe above)
- 4 cups partially dried 1/2″ bread cubes
- If desired, mix the Seasoning Mix ingredients together and store for up to 6 months. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place.
- To make the stuffing, in a medium saucepan, combine water, butter or margarine and Stuffing Seasoning Mix. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium, simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the bread cubes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Cover; remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Whole Wheat Stuffing: Substitute 2 cups partially dried whole wheat bread pieces for half of the bread cubes.
Cornbread Stuffing: Use 3 cups crumbled cornbread for bread cubes.
Nut Stuffing: Add 1/4 cup walnuts or diced water chestnuts.
Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes and tips? Visit The Thanksgiving Countdown 20