Comfort food. There’s something special about it and everyone has their own special somethings that can just make the darkest days seem bright. We could have used a bit more comfort food around here the last few days. And now that Stefan is finally home again and getting back to a healthy state, he needs plenty of home-cooked to get him back on his feet. Hospital food barely qualifies as edible. It’s something warm in the belly but always lacks flavor – and sometimes identifying exactly what you are eating is a challenge too.
One of my new favorite comfort foods is the following dish. It’s a simple meal which doesn’t take long to prep but it is SO delicious. You can also freeze the chicken & gravy for quick meals during the week – the biscuits freeze great too. Use store-bought ones, a mix or make your own biscuits from scratch – either way, your family is going to be licking the bowls clean after this meal.
Chicken & Gravy with Biscuits
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
- 6 chicken breast halves (about 1 pound or 600 grams)
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups green peas
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C ). Drizzle olive oil in the bottle of a large casserole dish. Lay chicken breasts in dish and coat with oil. Add salt and pepper. Flip breasts over and add more oil if needed. Add salt and pepper. Bake for 30-60 minutes, depending on thickness of breasts, until no longer pink or the juices run clear.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, then add broth, cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix together and cook until thickened. Stir in chicken and peas. Heat through and serve over hot cooked biscuits.